7.5.13

A Glimpse of Extremes: Part Two



A Glimpse of Extremes: Part two
            I walked down the clean street, and breathed in the fresh air. It felt good in my lungs, and had a certain sweetness to it as it passed down my nasal passageways and through my throat. I saw the bright green grass, and still noticed that there wasn’t litter anywhere. It had been five years since The Laws had been passed, and I still noticed.
            The set of laws simply called The Laws were a set of laws to keep our Earth clean, and they worked. At first some people had opposed them, saying they were taking away our freedoms, but after seeing the results anybody who publicly stood against them was quickly shot down.
            The laws seemed at first to be a little much, but seeing what they had done for us I couldn’t help but accept that they work. A three hundred dollar fine for peeing in any public body of water, having to go to litter rehabilitation for spitting or throwing anything on the ground, jail time for using anything petroleum based. All these seemed to be too far at first, but they did work.
            I saw somebody getting dragged away by police with a cigarette in his hand, then sighed and shook my head. It’s just sad that somebody can be so inconsiderate for the environment and everybody else that they would actually smoke.
            I chuckled quietly to myself at that, realizing that not three years ago I was a smoker before the law against that came into place. Then again, five years ago I didn’t recycle, which now would get a five hundred dollar fine. I also used two liter bottles or gallon bottles of liquids, which now would get environmental rehabilitation. Yes, this world was much better. I thought environmental stability was worth the price, and the results agreed with me.
            Though, I had to admit that it did seem a little extreme. Nobody could do anything without a fine, or jail time, or going to rehabilitation for something. If I had known it would have ended up like this five years ago, I might not have voted for the laws, which I had already done reluctantly. I would have been thankful for a glimpse of this extreme.

No comments:

Post a Comment