5.5.13

The Light at the End of the Street


The Light at the end of the Street
            I slowly cracked open my eyes, and wondered what was going on. I sat up, and then got to my feet. What? Where am I? What happened? I asked myself. I thought back as far as I could. I was walking home from my friends’ house, and I was crossing the street, but then… I couldn’t remember. And it hit me; I couldn’t even remember my friends’ name. I couldn’t remember anybody’s name, including my own.
            I looked all around, and something else strange hit me. This was a road, nicely paved, with street lights on both sides evenly spaced apart. But all around, there were no buildings, on the road were no markings, and there were no cars anywhere. And the landscape, it was featureless, completely and utterly flat.
            I walked to the side of the road, and picked up some of the dirt. It was made of no material I knew of. Then I looked up. There wasn’t a star in the sky, and not even the moon. And yet I could see that the sky curved drastically, creating a tunnel like affect. I walked back on the street, and looked one way, and then the other.
            The street had no turns, no imperfections, and no see-able end. They were both exactly the same. Yet, the one to my left gave me a really bad feeling, so I turned right and started walking. I walked for what seemed like hours, but I couldn’t tell because I had no watch. Then, something strange occurred to me. The streetlights were dimming, but the light stayed the same. Actually, it was getting brighter. But there were still no stars in the sky.
            Then a man came out of nowhere. “Hello.” He said to me.
            “Um, hi.”
            “Tell me; were you happy with your life? All the decisions you made, every path you took?”
            “Yeah, I guess.” I was more than a little creeped out by now.
            “Think carefully, because this is your last chance.”
            “What do you mean?”
            “I mean that you have two choices. Go on to the afterlife, or be reborn. You will have no memory, but you can act differently. As may other people. But if you choose afterlife, there’s a chance that you could go to hell if you weren’t good enough.”
            I thought long and hard about everything I’ve done. Was I a good person? Did I do the right things? I thought about everything, about how I beat up my sister all throughout my childhood, how I lied, and cheated on a boyfriend once, and had evil, evil thoughts. Then I decided.
            “I’ll be reborn.”
            A sad smile crossed his face, and he then said. “Very well.”
            I then instantly found myself in a pure white room, with no markings at all. There were thousands of people there, and more coming in every few seconds. I waited, and everyone there before me had their name called, and then disappeared. Then finally, my name was called. And a bright light flashed through my eyes, and I forgot.

No comments:

Post a Comment