28.5.13

Red Glass



Red glass
            I handed him his nickel, as I did every Wednesday. He was so excited, because he didn’t have to do his homework. It always made me smile to see him this happy, so I was glad to do it. But of course, that wasn’t my only reason.
            He ran out the door, and I smiled weakly as I waved good bye to him. I then stumbled over, sat down in the chair, and started crying. What had I come to? I hated not being able to provide for my son, to the point where I had to send him to the movies every Wednesday just to get glassware.
            I was crying my eyes out, when I looked up. I saw the figure of my husband, but I knew he wasn’t there; he had died in the war. He stood over me, as though to comfort me. I was grateful to feel his presence, even if he wasn’t really there.
            “Why? Why did you have to die in that stupid war?” I choked out between sobs. I realized I was being loud, but I didn’t care. I was too upset. I lied like this for what seemed like hours, when I heard the door slam shut.
            I got up, and forced myself to smile. “Hi sweety.” I said as he handed me the glassware. I held it in my hands, staring at it. It was red, as always. But I was so grateful, yet so depressed. I hated this, but I had to do it. I needed that red glass.

No comments:

Post a Comment